Above: The Bomberger memorial on Google Maps Street View.
This four-ton granite memorial was firmly planted on Bomberger lands in 1923, a mile northwest of Lititz. The bronze tablet is inscribed in memory of immigrant Christian Bomberger.
The monument was placed at the former location of a lime kiln, on land that Christian Bomberger received from William Penn's family in 1735. The granite for the memorial came from Mt. Hope, and the tablet was crafted in New York. Historian Lloyd Huber Bomberger established a trust fund to maintain the memorial into the future.
The tablet is inscribed:
In Memory of Christian Bomberger
A God-fearing and industrious man, who with his wife, Maria, two sons John and Christian, and six daughters, left the tenantry of Baron von der Fels, in Eschelbronn, Baden, May 12th, 1733, was granted a certificate of Waibstatt, and settled in this tract, among the Indians. He died in 1742. His body rests in the family God's acre on yonder hill.
Erected by his Descendants 1923
Satellite View of the Bomberger Memorial:
View this memorial site in a larger Google map.
Bomberger Family's German Origins:
Above: Eschelbronn, Germany. Former hometown of Lancaster County Bombergers. Google Maps view.