Hess-Franck Miller's House - 22 Lititz Run Road. Lititz, PA
Above: The house as seen on Google Maps Street View.
Henry Hess purchased the mill across the street from this house for the use of his son, Jacob Hess (1815-1850) and wife Anna Becker Hess (1816-1893) after their marriage in 1836. This mill was known as the Rome Mill, and this house was the miller's house.
This brick miller's house was constructed for this couple circa 1840s, to replace a small log house. After Jacob's death at an early age, his widow owned the property. The house and mill next passed to their only surviving child, Susannah Hess, who was married to Henry S. Franck. Henry and Susannah sold the mill and this miller's house in the 1860s.
This brick farmhouse had a frame summer kitchen constructed on the east end of the building. The entire house was clad in vinyl siding, stucco, and manufactured stone ca. 2010.
(The 2 adjoining, yellow pins: Top pin: the mill, Bottom pin: the miller's house)
View this property in a larger Google map.
Image: Lee J. Stoltzfus
Above: The Rome Mill, across the street from the miller's house.
1842 Tablecloth Made by Anna Becker Hess, Here at the Hess-Franck Miller's House
Above: This linen tablecloth is attributed to Anna Becker Hess (1816-1893). Anna was the wife of the miller Jacob Hess, here at the Rome Mill, as described above.
Anna stitched a drawnwork center panel for this tablecloth, to join two loom widths of homespun, pattern-woven linen. She added the date 1842 to the cloth, which was also the approximate date the house was constructed for Anna and her husband. (Clarke Hess Collection)