Above: The Bomberger Farm on Google Maps Street View.
This farm was originally three tracts patented by two patents to Christian Bomberger (1736-1814). One patent was dated October 24, 1770, and the other was dated November 12, 1771. Christian was a son of John Bomberger (d. 1758), who was a son of immigrant Christian Bomberger.
This grandson Christian Bomberger willed his plantation of 210 acres to his eldest son Joseph. Christian willed that the five children of his son David (d. 1805) would receive the adjoining 55.75-acre farm that David had occupied. Joseph later moved to Virginia.
On April 3, 1834, Henry Hess and wife Catherine Huber purchased 148 acres of this tract. On August 9, 1845, Henry Hess Sr. deeded the farm to Henry Hess Jr.
Satellite View (Right Pin):
View this farm on a larger Google map.
The House and Barn:
The southern portion of the farmhouse is constructed of log. In the direct tax of 1798 the farmhouse was described as a story-and-a-half house measuring 34 by 27 feet, with two 16-lite windows, two 12-lite windows, and one 9-light window. The tax list also included a log washhouse measuring 25 by 18 feet, and a stone-and-log barn measuring 95 by 27 feet.
In 1815 the house was occupied by Joseph Bomberger. The log portion of the house had been raised to two-story height, and a two-story brick addition was added to the northern side of the house. The barn had remained unchanged. Joseph Bomberger added a stillhouse for distilling whiskey, and a one-story tenant house of log construction, measuring 28 by 18 feet.
The Bomberger's barn was located across from the house on the opposite side of the road. The present barn was built by Henry and Hettie Hess in 1873.
This farmstead included a large boxwood-lined kitchen garden near the house. The garden survived until 1987. The boxwoods apparently predated the Hess ownership of the farm.