Above: The Bomberger Farm on Google Maps Street View.
Portions of this farm appear to have been part of the Christian Bomberger patents of 1770 and 1771. In 1798 the farm was occupied by David Bomberger (1774-1805), a son of Christian Bomberger (1736-1811) who had patented it. David was married to Catherine Krebill (Graybill) (1774-1823), and they had five children. One son, Isaac, is the ancestor of the Bishop Homer Bomberger family. (See Isaac's 1802 fraktur birth record below). Another son, Christian, was a medical doctor who lived in Rothsville.
David Bomberger died intestate in 1805 at the age of 31. His administrators sold the farm to John and Maria Eby in 1814. Then in 1821 the Ebys sold the farm to Joseph Bomberger, who was David's brother. In 1864 this farm was owned by Jonas Brubaker. In 1875 J. D. Brubaker was the owner. Then in 1899 it was owned by J. G. Brubaker's estate, according to county atlases.
Satellite View: (Farm is the second pin from left.)
View these farm on a larger Google map.
The House and Barn:
The house is a two-story log house with a spring located in the cellar, as was popular with the 18th-century Pennsylvania Germans. According to the 1798 direct tax, the buildings consisted of a two-story log house measuring 28 by 24 feet, with five 15-lite windows, and six 12-lite windows. This tax list also mentions a barn measuring 47 by 27 feet, constructed of stone and logs. Plus there was a log blacksmith shop measuring 22 feet by 17 feet. The farm contained approimately 58 acres.
By the 1815 direct tax, the log barn had been replaced with a stone-and-frame overshot barn measuring 70 by 24 feet. The log house remained unchanged. The blacksmith shop was still standing at that date. It was part stone and part timber.
An 1802 Fraktur Birth Record for Isaac Bomberger
Who was Born here at this Bomberger Farm in 1798:
The German-language text of this Fraktur records the birth of Isaac Bomberger (1798-1871), the son of David Bomberger (1774-1805) and Catharina Krebill (Graybill) (1774-1823).
The fraktur is signed "J. F" with an 1802 date, and is attributed to schoolmaster Jacob Fleischer (1761-1845). Fleischer was born in Reading, Berks County, a son of Johannes and Eva Margaret Fleischer. The Fleischers emigrated to America in 1753.
Text: Diesen beyden Ehegatten als David Bamberger und seine ehelige Hauß Frau Catharina eine gebohrne Krebillin uns ist ein Söhnlein zur welt gebohren wie folgt Isaac ward gebohren im Jahr unsers HErrn 1798 den 10ten January im Zeygen des Scorbious Gott schencke ihm ein Langes leben in dieser Zeit und nehme ihn hernach zu sich in die ewige Seeligkeit Märtz den 9 ten 1802. J. F.Translation: "To these two married people, namely David Bamberger and his wife Catharina, born Krebillin [Kraybill / Graybill with the Germanic feminine "in" suffix], a son was born into the world, as follows: Isaac was born in the year of our Lord 1798, the 10th of January, in the sign of Scorpio. May God grant him a long life in this time and hereafter take him to Himself in the eternal blessedness. March 9th 1802. J. F. [Jacob Fleischer]" (Clarke Hess Collection).