Above: The Historian John Hess Farm, as seen on Google Maps Street Views.
Above: Hess History by John H. Hess: 1880 and 1896.
This farm has seen numerous owners throughout its centuries of history. For local Hess historians, this farm is known as the birthplace and home of historian John Huber Hess (1828-1913), author of the first two books published about Hess genealogy.
The farmstead was settled by Samuel Huber (b. ca. 1725-d. 1788), with Jacob Hess. Samuel father, Hans Ulrich Huber, received title to the tract of 290 acres on August 17, 1749.
This farm was also the home of Samuel Huber (ca. 1764-1796) and wife Catharine (Snyder) Huber. By 1812 Mennonite preacher Christian Risser (1767-1826) had married Samuel Huber's widow, Catherine Snyder (1766-1826), and had became the owner of the property. Later, the farm's owners were the parents of Historian John Hess: Henry Hershey Hess and Catharine (Huber) Hess, who purchased this farm for their son John Huber Hess.
This son, John Huber Hess, compiled an important history of the Hess family, published in two books: A Family Record of the Hess Family (1880), and A Genealogy of the Hess Family (1896). Both books were published in Lititz by John G. Zook, publisher of the Lititz Express newspaper. Henry Hess' 1896 history is published online here.
Historian John Hess was a grandson of Preacher John Hess and Esther (Hershey) Hess, who had lived at the nearby Hess Homestead, the 1740s log farmhouse on Lititz Run Road.
This historian, John H. Hess, received ownership of this farm with wife Elizabeth (Brubaker) Hess. They raised their four children here. Historian John Hess' oldest son owned the farm next. He was Peter Brubaker Hess, married to Mary Ann (Stoner) Hess. Additional Hesses owned this farm into the 21st century.
View this farm in a larger Google map.
Well-Pump from the Farm of Historian John Hess:
Above: This unusual well-pump hardware comes from a wooden pump formerly on the farm of Historian John and Elizabeth Hess. The hand-wrought pump handle is signed "A S / 1856" by the pump maker Adam Sharp, of Warwick Township. The pump's spout bracket is stamped "S Souder" by the blacksmith Samuel Souder, who worked in Penn Township near Erb Mennonite Church.
Souder probably crafted all the iron for this pump, while the pump maker would have made the pump's wooden portions, including the wooden pipe inserted into the well. Signed pump brackets are seldom seen. This pump iron had been sold at auction, and is mounted on a board for display . Clarke Hess Collection.
Birth Record of Historian John and Elizabeth Hess' Son, Peter B. Hess:
Above: Birth record of Peter B. Hess (born Feb. 24, 1854) son of Historian John H. Hess and Elizabeth (Brubacher) Hess, in its original walnut frame. Peter owned this Hess farm after his father. Printed by Theo. F. Scheffer in Harrisburg, with block-printed color. Clarke Hess Collection. (Peter was the first cousin of Clarke's great-grandfather Aaron H. Hess.)
Anna Risser, Mennonite Preacher's Daughter,
Receives an 1808 Psalm Book,
(She was born here on this Historian John Hess Farm.)
Anna Risser (1805-1877) was a Mennonite preacher's kid, so she attended many German-language church services and read many German-language psalms.
The flyleaf of this psalm book is inscribed Anna Reiser ihr buch geschriben den 10 tag Mertz im Jahr des Herrn 1812 Warwik Taunschip Lancaster Caunty,meaning “Anna Risser her book written March 10 1812 Warwick Township, Lancaster County.”
Anna was the seven-year-old daughter of Mennonite Preacher Christian Risser and Catherine (Snyder) Risser. This family lived here on this farm, which later was owned by Historian John Hess. (See information about Christian and Catherine above).
Anna later married Jacob Landis (1811-1877), and they lived on the northern portion of the Hans Musselman patent at Rothsville. In 1991 this book surfaced at a household auction on Rabbit Hill Road, Rothsville, a short distance up the hill from Anna's farm. Anna clipped various articles from newspapers and almanacs which she saved inside the cover of this 1808 psalter. (Book: Clarke Hess Collection)