The Summer Kitchen
This frame building was built ca. 1850, adjoining the log farmhouse. Henry Hess (1794-1867) constructed the building over a vaulted root cellar, which is one of three arch cellars at this homestead. Included in the building is a walk-in fireplace, previously used for butchering, making soap, heating laundry water, etc. A brick, squirrel-tail bake oven was located outside, attached to the fireplace.
A hand pump in the building was used for pumping water from an underground cistern, which stored rain water from the kitchen's roof. Outside the summer kitchen was a windmill to pump water from the well.
Above: Behind the summer kitchen ca. 1910.
An anonymous woman holds a treat for the St. Bernard.
Woman on left is Annie C. (Shenk) Hess (1881-1970).
And with her son Raymond S. Hess (1903-1988).