The 1778 Stone Farmhouse
The stone farmhouse is next door to the log farmhouse. The construction date 1778 is carved in the gable datestone, with the initials C. H. These initials are for Christian Hess (1757-1816), the great-grandson of immigrant Hans Hess.
Christian Hess and wife Anna farmed approximately 100 acres here. Christian also operated the Hess mill built by his father Johannes.
A vaulted arch cellar is beneath the kitchen. The kitchen retains its original hearth and mantle. The house was enlarged to its present form ca. 1800 by Christian's sister Elizabeth Hess (1776-1865) and her husband Mennonite deacon Daniel Burkholder (1770-1858).
Above: 1778 datestone for Christian Hess. Front door with segmental arch. Second-floor window with brick lintel.
Above: Original hearth and bake-oven door.